Thursday, April 12, 2012

my creative space | simple granny squares




I have my fingers and toes crossed that Pip's next book is all about crochet because every time she posts a new project it is amazing and I want to make it and thankfully, I end up with beautiful blankets like the arcade fire one which now sits on my bed.

I had already had a go at trying to make my own version of the simple granny squares before she posted her tutorial.  My younger sister happened to be walking past as I was admiring the squares and soon we were discussing colour combinations. I had a heap of gray wool that I had brought for another project lying around, so we decided to go with the gray look too. I love the contrast that the gray gives to the other colours as it really makes them pop.







Being the impatient crater that I am I could not wait till all the squares were made to start joining them together. I started of crocheting them but in the end we decided to go with the stitched look for this blanket. I love how they look all joined together. So simple but really eye catching. It is probably much easier and way more time efficient to join them all together at once but it's not as fun. I need to see the blanket 'taking shape' to feel i am getting somewhere.

 These squares really are so simple to make and I love the look of them joined together. Which is really good because our quick calculations tell us that we need 144 squares, 24 have currently been made.

Go here to see more crochet goodness and lots of awesome projects.

10 comments:

  1. Love making grannies. Yours are looking great. And I love that blanket on the bed! Found your post on our creative spaces.
    http://crochetapy.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Making grannies is a serious addiction :)

      Delete
  2. I like the blanket on your bed :) One day I may just have to learn to crochet . . .my sis took it up this year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I love falling asleep at night snuggled under something I made. You should really learn to crochet, I taught myself last easter and haven't stopped making things since then!

      Delete
  3. Wow, your crochet is all gorgeous. I really need to learn......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! You really should learn the basic stitches are super easy once you get the hang of them and it's seriously addictive!

      Delete
  4. I am obsessed with Pip and her granny squares too, I love all your pics! I have started my first blanket but I am lazy so it is BIG squares in plain colours, I may have to do a stripey one too though, yours looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to make a big patchwork blanket they look awesome but I haven't quite worked out what the best way to join them is.

      Delete
  5. Lovely squares! I like the gray. Always feel like I have such a hard time with color combos. Grannies are so easy and fun to work up. Nearly instant gratification. I am sure you will have those 120 whipped up in no time. :) Best wishes, Tammy P.S. Love your arcade fire blanket too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Picking the colours can be so tricky! I tend to use lots of different colours but with one main colour although I love the look of blankets that are made from granny squares all done in the same colour too. Grannies just make everybody happy :)

      Delete